Greetings from Anonymous,
December 17 will mark the anniversary of many historic events: three months since the beginning of the Occupy movement; the one-year anniversary of the death of Mohamed Bouazizi, the Tunisian man whose self-immolation initiated the first of protests which became the Tunisian Revolution, and eventually cascaded into the Arab Spring; and 24 years since the birth of Bradley Manning, the army private accused of leaking classified information to Wikileaks. Manning’s first hearing is scheduled for Dec 16, 586 days after his arrest, where he will face a military panel who will decide if he will go to trial.
Bradley Manning’s alleged transfer of sensitive information to Wikileaks allowed the organization to release diplomatic cables confirming suspected corruption at high levels of the Tunisian government. The outrage over the circumstances surrounding Mohamed Bouazizi’s death was intensified after these revelations, and small protests quickly turned into an uprising which toppled a long-standing regime. Tunisia is now recognized as the inspiration for the Arab Spring; uprisings such as those which shook Egypt‘s Mubarak from power, and ended both Gaddafi’s regime and life.
The passion expressed by those in the Arab world inspired many activists in the west to stand together. The American Autumn began on September 17 with Occupy Wall Street, and similar protests soon erupted across the United States, as well as internationally. Occupy protesters peacefully marched, sang, danced, and drummed their way into the soul of their respective cities, but have often been met with hostility and aggression from law enforcement. In response, Occupiers have remained peaceful and continued protesting.
Operation Horizon will remind the world that we are united and that together, we will not fail.
Learn about this year of change, march on City Hall and end the night with a vigil for those who have sacrificed so much.
Stand for the truth and solidarity. Know how we got here, and remember those who have fallen.
We are Anonymous
We are Bradley Manning
We are Arab Spring
We are the 99%
We do not forgive
We do not forget
- PFC Bradley Manning finally gets his day in court (richardemanuel.wordpress.com)
- Michael Moore: Wikileaker Bradley Manning Ignited Occupy Wall Street Movement (papundits.wordpress.com)
- Arab Spring activists win Sakharov prize (telegraph.co.uk)
- A Social Media Revolution? Tunisians Weigh In (sixestate.com)
- Military Finally Schedules a Date for Bradley Manning’s Pre-Trial Hearing (dissenter.firedoglake.com)
- Bradley Manning’s defence plans to call 50 witnesses (guardian.co.uk)
- Bradley Manning trial set to begin on December 16th (100gf.wordpress.com)
- Arab Spring: Tunisia holds inaugural session of assembly (telegraph.co.uk)
- Pretrial for Bradley Manning Dec. 16. Vigil and Rally Planned (stevebeckow.com)