Occupy Wall Street‘s new drone: ‘The Occucopter’
With all the news about UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicles) or Drones in the news, it was just a matter of time until these devices would be available to the general public. Perhaps one of the most innovate use of theses moderately priced over-the-counter drones is being utilized by the Occupy Movement.
The Guardian UK writes……..
Drones have been utilized by police in the past to monitor large crowds of protesters but this might be the first time a drone has been used by protesters to monitor the police. Tim Pool has modified a Parrot AR Drone to provide a live feed of Occupy Wall Street from above, offering an angle unique from all the other Occupy live feeds already providing footage of the protests across the globe.
The Parrot AR Drone is a fairly inexpensive quadracopter which can be piloted via a smartphone or iPad. Its built-in video camera and $300 price tag make it a pretty accessible tool for protesters, no matter what the cause.
According to The Guardian, Pool is attempting to make it so multiple people in a crowd can assume control of the drone, just in case the pilot gets busted by the police. He also hopes to create a 3G controller to allow people to pilot the drone remotely.
As the line between advanced surveillance drone and remote control toy blur, we can probably expect to see a lot more amateurs fiddling with drones like this in the future.
The overwhelming amount of video footage of the Occupy protests – including that of the UC Davis pepper spraying incident – has mainly been enabled by technology like YouTube and smartphone cameras, tools that protesters in past decades never had access to. Now we can start expecting wide, sky-high shots of the drama as well.
American’s Be Fruitful and OCCUPY!!!
and please don’t forget to “Like”
Occupy Cyberspace-American Autumn’s
blog and Facebook Fan page!
- Car theft suspect tracked by drone (autonetinsurance.co.uk)
- Occupy Wall Street’s New Drone: ‘The Occucopter’ (techland.time.com)
- Occupy Wall Street Gets A Surveillance Drone: The OccuCopter (businessinsider.com)
- Why Drones Crash (flyingpenguin.com)
- Occupy Wall Street’s ‘occucopter’ – who’s watching whom? | Noel Sharkey and Sarah Knuckey (guardian.co.uk)
- OWS Fights Back Against Police Surveillance by Launching “Occucopter” Citizen Drone (alternet.org)
- The Drones Have It! – US/Mexico Border become militarized with an influx of Hi Tech UAV’s (theleagueofaggressiveprogressives.wordpress.com)
- manicchill: OWS Invests In Unmanned Surveillance Drone Dubbed… (shortformblog.tumblr.com)
- AR Drone Control – CXI Gaming (itunes.apple.com)
- Future drone pilots may fly four warplanes at once (ibtimes.com)
- How One Occupy Broadcaster Is Changing News Coverage With Tech (mashable.com)
- Pakistani Cricketer Draws 100K+ to Rally (newser.com)
- ‘Guest fighters’ killed in Pakistan drone attack (thetimes.co.uk)
- Smartphone Controlled Drone Quadricopter by Parrot (swagsofresh.com)