“Merry Lulzxmas! Anonymous / LulzSec provides some Christmas cheer, by taking on security think tank Stratfor Global Intelligence on Christmas eve, and posting thousands of credit card numbers, and even using some of them to post donations to charitable organizations such as cancer and AIDS research, the American Red Cross, WikiLeaks and the Tor Project, a software that enables online anonymity.
The BBC/UK writes……..
The hackers claim they were able to obtain the information because the company, Stratfor, did not encrypt it.
The Austin-based company says it has now suspended the operation on its servers and email.
An alleged member of Anonymous posted an online message, claiming that the group had used Stratfor clients’ credit card details to make “over a million dollars” in donations to different charities.
Stratfor later announced that it would keep its email and servers suspended for some time.
It also said the disclosure was “merely a list of some of the members that have purchased our publications and does not comprise a list of individuals or entities that have a relationship with Stratfor”.
Anonymous has previously claimed responsibility for cyber attacks on financial institutions seen as enemies of the whistleblowing website Wikileaks.
Original article appears here.
Chronology of releases from AnonymousIRC starting early this afternoon:
- #AnonSanta just told us: “Currently rm -rf’n targets and shredding logs” #LulzXmas#Antisec
- We just hear that #AnonSanta battle-sleigh plundered 200gb of emails and other booty before he started to deliver his presents. #LulzXmas
- From IRC: “** Are you all ready to witness the rm -rf /* of a major intelligence corporation, live on IRC and twitter?” #LulzXmas
- 5 minutes and counting. #AnonSanta won’t disappoint you. Get on IRC now for the whole spirit of #LulzXmas.
- FUCK IT, HE’LL DO IT LIVE! FUCKING THING SUCKS, HE’LL DO IT LIVE! | http://mibbit.com/?channel=%23anonops&server=irc.anonops.li | #LulzXmas
- A wild rm -rf /* appears: http://www.stratfor.com/ |#LulzXmas from #AnonSanta | #AntiSec plundered 200gb of their mails and more booty.
- #Stratfor#LulzXmas takedown mirrored forever: zone-h.org/mirror/id/1641…
- “You do realize how preposterous it is to suggest that#stratfor simply
shutdown completely for 2 days, right?” ~ Frank Ginac (IT manager)
- Merry #LulzXmas to everyonehttp://imagebin.org/190224 Stratfor rooted. All your base are belong to us. ❤ #Anonymous
- http://bit.ly/ulWECe | #Anonymous/#AntiSec Attack#STRATFOR | #LulzXmas#AntiSec
And the kicker:
- The private (and secret) client list of #Stratfor:http://pastebin.com/8MtFze0s | Not so private and secret anymore. #Antisec #LulzXmas
Anon promises that much more is coming:
- #Antisec has enough targets lined up to extend the fun fun fun of #LulzXmas throught the entire next week.
How the Stratfor site looked minutes after the hack:
Full letter from George Friemdan to clients as of an hour ago:
The full client list as released in a pastebin by Anonymous of all the alleged clients sorted by company name, can be found here. As this is merely an extracted column from a far larger database, we are confident much more very sensitive information, as the bulk of the companies are either in the intelligence or money management business, will be released shortly.
American’s Be Fruitful and OCCUPY!!!
and please don’t forget to “Like”
Occupy Cyberspace-American Autumn’s
blog and Facebook Fan page!
- Hackers hit US security company (bbc.co.uk)
- ‘Anonymous’ hackers target U.S. security think tank (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Hackers target global think tank (cnn.com)
- Anonymous makes charitable donations using stolen credit card details (digitaltrends.com)
- You: Anonymous hacks US security firm Stratfor (france24.com)
- Stratfor Global Intelligence Victim of “Anonymous” Hackers (inquisitr.com)
- ‘Anonymous’ hacks thousands of credit card numbers from security firm… and gives money to charity (dailymail.co.uk)
- Stratfor Hacking Incident Underscores Need for Communications Responsiveness (davidhenderson.com)
- Hacker group claims it accessed credit cards (cbc.ca)
- Hackers target US security think tank (independent.co.uk)
- The latest operation revealed by Anonymous: Operation Anti-Sec (occupycyberspace.wordpress.com)
- Confidential client list safe from Anonymous, Stratfor says – Computerworld (computerworld.com)
- “Merry Lulzxmas!” – Anonymous Strikes again! – Hit’s Austin Texas Security firm Stratfor Global Intelligence (occupycyberspace.wordpress.com)
- Stratfor Hacked; Anonymous Claims Responsibility (forbes.com)
- Anonymous says it stole think tank’s personal data (sfgate.com)
- Anonymous Hacks Security Firm Strator, Gives Funds to Charity (blippitt.com)
- Hackers Breach the Web Site of Stratfor Global Intelligence (nytimes.com)
- Hackers ‘steal US data in Christmas-inspired assault’ (telegraph.co.uk)