Two of 2011’s biggest attention getters are about to collide in Iowa. All year, a pack of Republican candidates have been relentlessly campaigning for their party’s Presidential nomination. Those candidates are about to run into protesters from the Occupy Wall Street movement.
“Occupy The Caucus” organizers have promised not to disrupt the Iowa caucuses that happen on Tuesday January 3. However, they do plan to “occupy” the candidate’s campaign headquarters and appearances, letting them know they disapprove of how government is allowing greedy corporations to run the country and accumulate most of the wealth. Occupy supporters met a week ahead of the caucuses in Des Moines to start organizing their actions for the week.
As you can see in the video, participants broke up into candidate “preference” groups.The difference is that people were asked to stand not with the candidate they support, but with the candidate (Republican or Democrat) whose campaign headquarters they intend to occupy over this week. Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, December 28 ? 30, supporters will go to campaign headquarters and try to ask the candidates “real questions”.
They say they will be loud, determined and heard. Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, January 1 ? 3, they plan to “chase the candidates and their Wall Street cronies around the state of Iowa, dogging their heels at all their black-tie dinners and staged media events, drowning out their empty rhetoric with the strong, clear message of the 99%: We are taking American democracy back!”
The group’s website says “We?re taking our demands for true democracy and economic justice directly to President Obama and the GOP candidates, to the banks, and to the media. They?ve ignored each of us as individuals, but they can?t ignore us all.”
American’s Be Fruitful and OCCUPY!!!
and please don’t forget to “Like”
Occupy Cyberspace-American Autumn’s
blog and Facebook Fan page!
- Occupy activists take aim at Iowa caucuses (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Occupy activists plan to disrupt Iowa Republican caucuses (theglobeandmail.com)
- Iowa GOP vote counting moves to secret location (cbsnews.com)
- Iowa Caucuses Puzzle Outsiders (huffingtonpost.com)
- Occupy activists meet in Iowa, plan caucus events (thegazette.com)
- Occupy protesters target GOP in Iowa (sfgate.com)
- Occupy Protesters Gather in Iowa (myfoxny.com)
- Could negativity kill the Iowa caucuses? (cnn.com)
- Occupy Protesters Gear Up For Iowa Caucus (huffingtonpost.com)