Think bad thoughts about the government and you could go to jail…forever. That may sound like a Soviet-era law, but civil libertarians say it’s possible under the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) which is awaiting President Obama’s promised signature.
The NDAA, was passed by the US Senate 86 to 13. Minnesota senators split on the act, Franken opposing and Klobuchar voting for it. OccupyMN organized a pre-Christmas protest at the Minneapolis Obama Reelection Headquarters. The act is characterized by the ACLU and many others as a major assault on the Bill of Rights.
The 600 pages contain provisions that allow indefinite detention by the military of anyone, including US Citizens on US soil, without trial and without legal representation. The act makes it virtually impossible to close Guantanamo Bay. The Occupy movements in many cities other that Minneapolis have initiated actions against this act.
(Nashville, Portland, Los Angeles) Military Officers have spoken out against it even though it grants the military extensive new powers. Montanans launched a recall of senators voting for it. Former FBI agent turned activist Coleen Rowley said, “This will apply to Quakers, to Catholic workers, to people that oppose the death penalty.
All of these groups have been spied upon by the FBI. Ironically, this action takes it away from the FBI and gives it to the military.” OccupyMN promises more specifically targeted actions on other legislative figures.
American’s Be Fruitful and OCCUPY!!!
and please don’t forget to “Like”
Occupy Cyberspace-American Autumn’s
blog and Facebook Fan page!
- Coleen Rowley: Citizen Alert! Your Rights Are About to Be Limited! (huffingtonpost.com)
- Coleen Rowley: All I Want for Christmas Is My Civil Liberties! (huffingtonpost.com)
- Coleen Rowley: Obama Should Veto Empire Over Republic (huffingtonpost.com)
- Coleen Rowley: The Danger from Politicizing “Terror” (indigenist.blogspot.com)
- (76 Reader Comments at Present) Rep. Landry Offers Amendment to NDAA to Protect Civil Liberties (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Michele Bachmann continues to get free pass for voting “Aye” on NDAA – Washington DC Conservative | Examiner.com (mybetter4you.wordpress.com)
- The 86 Senators who Voted to Pass NDAA need to #Occupy the Unemployment Line (destructionist.wordpress.com)
- A public letter to the US Government upon the passing of NDAA | Bad Astronomy (blogs.discovermagazine.com)
- Senate Armed Services Committee Passes Legislation Allowing Obama to Arrest and Hold Americans Without Trial ? (votingamerican.wordpress.com)