We must have struck a nerve…. Hurt his wittle feewings…. or just hit him with the facts too hard. Although Jamie Dimon is not the first 1%er to complain of the Occupy Movements consistent drumbeat against the excesses and corruption of the rich, he is someone who is in a position at a worldwide financial firm, who could make a real difference if he wanted to…. But that’s just it, he doesn’t. As long as his pockets are lined with everyone else’s cash, he’s just fine, or he was until the Occupy Movement came along. CEO’s like Dimon will either change, or become an endangered financial species. – Occupy Cyberspace – American Autumn
Dimon was responding to a question at an investor conference about the hostile political environment towards banks.
“Acting like everyone who’s been successful is bad and that everyone who is rich is bad — I just don’t get it,” said Dimon at the conference, which was organized by Goldman Sachs [GS 100.47 -4.66 (-4.43%) ].
Big banks, and CEOs like Dimon, have come under fire from Occupy Wall Street and other protesters who are disgruntled about income inequality and feel that big corporations — financial institutions in particular — have undue influence on government. In fact, last month, the protesters in New York targeted Dimon specifically, marching to his apartment and the residences of other wealthy New Yorkers.
Dimon said he’s worked on Wall Street for much of his life and contributed his fair share.
“Most of us wage earners are paying 39.6 percent in taxes and add in another 12 percent in New York state and city taxes and we’re paying 50 percent of our income in taxes,” Dimon said in defense of his fellow Wall Street bankers.
By: AP with Reuter
- Fat Cat Strikes Back (thedailybeast.com)
- Jamie Dimon: CEO of JPMorgan Chase, victim (americablog.com)
- JPMorgan Chase CEO rails against ‘rich is bad’ talk (usatoday.com)
- Jamie Dimon rails against ‘rich is bad’ talk (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Jamie Dimon, Just Another Wage Slave – Wall Street Journal (blog) (blogs.wsj.com)
- JPMorgan’s Thieving CEO, Jamie Dimon: Stop Bashing the Rich � The Activists (indigenist.blogspot.com)
- Jamie Dimon rails against ‘rich is bad’ talk (seattlepi.com)
- Jamie Dimon’s Glass Is Half Full (online.wsj.com)
- Jamie Dimon… Hopeful On Dividends & Buybacks In 2010 (JPM) (247wallst.com)
- JPMorgan expected to pass stress test, hike dividend (business.financialpost.com)
- What you need to know from Jamie Dimon’s presentation yesterday about what’s happening at JPMorgan (news.efinancialcareers.com)